This paper begins with the assumption that commonly accepted notions of citizenship are not tenable in a globalised, interdependent world. Climate change, ecological degradation and the finite nature of fossil fuels on which our lifestyles depend bring urgency to the question of re-evaluating the boundaries of citizenship. The ongoing exploitation of nature, humans and animals on which the current economic system of capitalism depends is not only ethically problematic but may ultimately undermine the future of life on this planet. The increasingly polarized distribution of wealth within and between nations, the destruction of nature, and the wide-scale, pervasive exploitation of humans, other animals and nature at a global level requires an ethical re-evaluation of the current system which cannot, and should not, be divorced from questions of citizenship and democracy. We argue that these interlinking forms of exploitation are intimately connected to the structural violence at the root of the capitalist system.
- Beyond Meat Announces Soaring Revenue Despite Covid-19 Shutdowns
- Chickens Crushed, Denied Water, Left to Suffer at McDonald’s Supplier
- A Zoo Is Struggling So Much That It May Have to Feed Some Animals to Other Animals
- Historic Partnership to Protect 2M Acres of Caribou Habitat
- American Red Cross’ Latest Lifesaving Move: Banning Leather Gloves
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Forks Over Knives
- New Study Finds a Simple Breathing Exercise May Help Decrease Alzheimer’s Risk
- 4 Drug-Free Ways to Fight Seasonal Allergies
- The Home Cook’s Guide to Growing Edible Flowers
- New Research: Making Plant-Based Meals the Default in Dining Halls Can Help Meet Climate Goals
- Yoga for Sleep: Yoga Nidra 101 + Restorative Poses That Work
- Tabitha Brown on Her New Line of Salt-Free Seasonings
- After a Prostate Cancer Diagnosis Spurred Me to Go Plant-Based, I Feel Like the Energizer Bunny
- Beating Diabetes with Diet: Sharon Palmer’s New Guide Provides an Approachable Plant-Based Plan
- How to Peel a Kiwi + Kiwi Recipes to Try
- The Ultimate Whole Grain Gluten-Free Flour Recipe: Our Favorite Blend Plus Baking Tips
Free From Harm
- Help Us Shut Down WingOut
- 10 Facts About Koch Foods and Joseph Grendys
- Adopt A Cow Program is Pure Industry Propaganda
- What to Make of a Diminished Thing
- Investment Firm Abandons Plans to Build a Mega Slaughterhouse in Wisconsin!
- The Quack Pack: Domestic Ducks Dumped in Park Rescued!
- National Geographic’s Delusional Portrayal of ‘Humane” Dairy Farming!
- “The Jungle” Transformed into the Future of Food
- The Reducetarian Paradox: Rigidly Applying ‘Moderation’ to Eleven Madison Park Restaurant
- Biden Must Stand Up To Animal Agriculture!